Why Are So Many People With Disabilities Unemployed?
We often hear complaints about so many people “on disability” getting a government check. Below are some questions to ask about this. Perhaps you have your own questions to add to the list. I think questions are easier to ask than answers are to find.
Why are so many people going on disability instead of working? What is the problem?
- Are Americans lazy and looking for a way out of work? If the problem really is laziness, let them be hungry, then they will work. But, are we ready to accuse 90 million Americans of being lazy?
- Pain? We have more pain meds now than ever, why are people leaving the workforce?
- Lack of jobs? What kind of jobs? Manufacturing, trades, labor?
- Are business owners just being mean and discriminating? If the problem really is discrimination, there should be investigations and justice served. But, are we ready to accuse business owners nationwide of being hard hearted or uncompassionate for not hiring?
- Is the problem accessibility to facilities?
- Is the problem fear of demeaning or jealous attitudes of coworkers?
- Is the problem the cost of health care – if I get a job I lose my SSI & health care?
Why are businesses not hiring people with disabilities? What is the problem?
- Is the problem impatience? The cost of flexibility? The HR challenge of finding a “fit”?
- Fear of ‘opening a can of worms’ of regulation?
- Fear of legal expectations?
- Fear of cost of healthcare?
- Fear of cost of accommodations?
- The headache of HR?
We expect people to WORK TO THEIR POTENTIAL! We expect employers to ACCOMMODATE TO THEIR POTENTIAL! The solution is BOTH AND!!!
Jesus gives us the clear answer to all these questions in St. John 13:34 – A new commandment I give unto you, That ye love one another; as I have loved you, that ye also love one another.
And in St. John 15:13 – Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.